Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Simple yet forgotten

Yesterday I was reminded that the little things make a difference. I met up with one of our former students who started her first day of college. We met at Starbucks and talked for literally hours before I took her home. Later last night we had our last weekly Girls Bible Study of the summer. Because of promotion, I had a much smaller crew. So the three of us went to Campbells and ate ice cream (I was good and got sugar-free) while talking. We talked about what God thinks about school as related to homework, teachers, and friends. Then I took the 2 girls home. Earlier last week, I met up with one of our students for smoothies.

This past week or so has really helped to remind me that it doesn't take much to make a difference in these girls' lives. Being willing to go get a smoothie, a frappucino, or ice cream will stick with these girls far longer than what we actually talked about. The topics were important too - praying for a boyfriend, dealing with college, and reflecting Christ in how you do your homework. But knowing that an adult leader, the student pastor's wife, was willing to spend one-on-one time with them will last for a lifetime.

I still have women who I think about on a weekly basis who radically transformed my life, by spending time with me at Starbucks or meeting me for lunch. Who are you impacting? How are you impacting? What are topics you talk about during these one-on-one meetings?

No comments:

Post a Comment